GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOTV) This weekend is the perfect time to get out and enjoy all the fun things around West Michigan. Check out Maranda’s top picks in this week’s Five Star Family Fun Update. To get a full list of events e-mailed to you each week, click here to sign up! Don’t forget to tune in weekdays at 4:30pm for Maranda Where You Live on WOTV 4 Women.
The 8-day festival is designed to take advantage of Michigan’s cold climate, provide fun ways for people to get outside and enjoy the season and make Grand Rapids a better winter city, which makes Grand Rapids a better year-round city. World of Winter comprises of a variety of free- and low-cost events that feature a wide variety of activities for both families and adults.
5:00 – 11:30 PM | PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony
- Watch party with live ice carving
- World’s Largest Game of Gaga Ball
5:00 PM | Valent-ICE Kick-Off
- Downtown gallery of 50+ ice sculptures
- Live ice carving demonstration
- 6:00 PM Ice Sculpture Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
- 8:00 PM Athletes & All-Stars Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
12:00 – 6:00 PM | ICE Breaker & Paint the Park
- Community crafted ice mural
- Live carving of community selected ice sculpture by Ice Guru Randy Finch
- Kids skate FREE
- Food trucks
- 11:00 AM Ice Sculpture Running Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
- 12:30, 2:30 & 5:30 PM Ice Sculpture Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
- 12:00 – 6:00 PM Snowshoe Demonstration in Heartside Park
12:30 – 8:30 PM | Human Hungry Hungry Hippo Tournament
- 12:30-1:00 PM | Registration – Family Division
- 1:00 – 3:00 PM | Family Division Competition
- 3:00 – 3:30 PM | Family Division Awards Ceremony at Rosa Parks Circle
- 3:00 – 3:30 PM | Registration – Adult Division
- 3:30 – 8:00 PM | Adult Division Competition
- 8:00 – 8:30 PM | Adult Division Awards Ceremony (location TBD)
- 1:30, 4:00 PM Ice Sculpture Walking Tour with Grand Rapids Running Tours
- Saturday at 10 a.m.
Have fun exploring the survival techniques of a Chaco tortoise, hooded rats, emperor scorpions, and a New Caledonian gecko. Enjoy watching live animal presentations, listening to animal stories, completing art projects, playing animal games, and trying your luck at animal challenges. Perfect for ages 3 to 6, but all ages are welcome. Come in from the cold and have some fun! Reservations are required! Call Meijer Gardens at 616-975-3144 or John Ball Zoo at 616-336-4301 to enroll.
- Member Cost: $5
- Non-Member Cost: $7
- Age Range: 3 and older
In collaboration with John Ball Zoo.
The Harry Potter™ Film Concert Series continues with Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban™. John Williams’ legendary score will be performed with the Grand Rapids Pops as the film is projected simultaneously on the big screen.
- Saturday at 2pm & 7:30pm
Bring the whole family out to this one, including the dog! It’s Pucks and Paws Night, the one game of the year when your furry, four-legged family member can sit next to you and take in a hockey game. Tickets for dogs are $5 and proceeds will be donated to the Animal Rescue Project. First intermission entertainment will be provided by the CANINE STARS, a group of rescue stunt dogs. We will also be hosting an adoption event at the game.
- Sunday at 3pm