GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Empty the Shelters day by the BISSELL Pet Foundation is returning to find more than 1,000 pets forever homes by waiving adoption fees for cats and dogs.
The foundation is sponsoring adoptions at 51 shelters around the state on Oct. 22 — including 19 shelters in West Michigan — in an effort to encourage potential pet owners to adopt, according to a BISSELL release. Adoption fees normally range from $60 (for cats) to $150 (for dogs).
New pet owners will only be responsible for the licensing fee, which costs $7 to $12.
The BISSELL Pet Foundation will also be giving adopters an AdoptBox, as supplies last at each location. The boxes include:
- Pet care guidelines
- Treats and toys
- Cleaning products
- ID tag
The AdoptBox aims to aid new pet owners with caring for the new furry member of their family.
Below are the participating shelters in West Michigan. For a full list of Michigan shelters, check out the BISSELL Pet Foundation’s website.
- Al-Van Humane Society (South Haven)
- Barry County Animal Control(Hastings)
- Cannonsville Critters(Montcalm County)
- Crash’s Landing(Grand Rapids)
- Harbor Humane Society(West Olive)
- Heaven Can Wait Animal Haven(Muskegon)
- Humane Society & Animal Rescue(Muskegon)
- Humane Society of West Michigan(Walker)
- Ionia County Animal Shelter(Ionia)
- Kalamazoo Animal Rescue(Kalamazoo)
- Kelley’s Heart to Heart Adoption Center (Walker)
- Kent County Animal Shelter(Grand Rapids)
- Montcalm County Animal Shelter(Stanton)
- Pay It Forward Outreach (Muskegon)
- Pet Tales Rescue (Kentwood)
- Pound Buddies(Muskegon)
- SPCA of South West Michigan(Kalamazoo)
- Wishbone Pet Rescue Alliance(Allegan)
- Van Buren County Animal Control(Hartford)
The foundation is holding the one-day adoption event to reduce the number of animals that are euthanized each year in Michigan — which is around 40,000, the release said.
On the last Empty the Shelters day — May 7, 2016 — a total of 605 pets were adopted from 24 shelters across Michigan.