GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV)-Ladies from across West Michigan stepped out for wine, chocolate and great conversation at the annual Wine Women and Chocolate event. The evening went to benefit the Women’s Resource Center in Grand Rapids. The goal of the Women’s Resource Center is economic independence for women, regardless of their current situation. The mission centers around issues faced by women in the workforce, and the programs offered help to place women in meaningful careers. Click video player above to watch.
- Approximately 600 women were served
- 594 women who were parenting a total of 512 children
- Ranged in age from 18 to more than 60 years old
- More than 50% were single parents
- 60% earned less than $15,000 per year – not a livable wage for a single person, much less for a family