GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOTV) Maranda loves an adventure and the latest trek took us off land and onto a fishing boat in Lake Erie. Maranda hopped aboard the Francesca Mad’Re from the port of Kingsville, Ontario for a day of fishing, fish that will end up in Meijer stores across Michigan and the Midwest.
Meijer formed a partnership with LaNassa Foods nearly two decades ago and they continue to provide the freshest fish to Meijer customers. Today, it’s the longest-running partnership Meijer has with a local fishing company, which harvests from Lake Erie daily and delivers the catch to the Meijer Distribution Facility in southeast Michigan four days a week.
“Meijer has a strong commitment to supporting local efforts, especially when it comes to sourcing quality food for our customers. This extends to the hardworking fishermen who fish the Great Lakes for us nearly every day,” Meijer Seafood Buyer David Wier said. “We are pleased that our partnership with La Nassa Foods continues to thrive because they are local and their commitment to fresh, quality fish matches our own.”
Safely back on shore, Maranda got a chance to see how to prepare the fish she caught in Lake Erie.
Walleye in Foil Packets
4 Walleye Fillets (about 1 ½ pounds)
1/2 Fresh lemon
2 cup Meijer fresh Pico de Gallo (or fresh salsa)
1 cup sliced red or sweet onion
Salt and pepper
Fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Meijer heavy duty aluminum Foil – cut 4 18-inch sheets
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat or oven to 425°F.
- Place one walleye fillet, skin side down, in the center of each piece of foil.
- Lightly squeeze fresh lemon juice over each fillet and lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1/2 cup Pico de Gallo over each fillet and then top with sliced onions.
- Fold up foil and crimp to seal, forming packets.
- Place on hot grill or in oven and cook until done (opaque and flaky) – about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Family Favorite Pan-Fried Fish
1 1/2 pounds Meijer fresh Walleye fillets or Perch fillets
2 True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic Eggs
1/2 cup True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic Milk
1 1/2 cups McCormick Fish Fry Seafood Mix (or similar)
2 teaspoons Lemon Pepper Seasoning
2-3 Tablespoons True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic butter
Fresh lemon wedges for garnish
- Whisk eggs and milk together and pour into a one-gallon size zipper-lock bag.
- Place fish fry mix and lemon pepper in a second gallon size zipper-lock bag; seal and shake to blend.
- Pre-heat skillet over medium high heat.
- Add half of the fillets to the egg mix bag, seal and toss to coat. Transfer to fry mix bag, seal and shake to coat.
- Add 1 tablespoons butter to hot pan; melt and place coated fish in pan, skin side up.
- Cook 4-5 minutes, turn and cook an additional 4-5 minutes until fish is lightly browned on both side and is opaque and flaky (use a fork to test).
- Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy!