GRAND RAPIDS, Mich (WOTV) – While summer is a time of pool parties, ice cream, beaches, weddings and all sorts of other fun stuff, it’s also a great time for some small home renovation projects. Longer daylight hours and hopefully good weather, plus the kids are home so they can help and give them a sense of accomplishment!
- The ground is softer so easier to install an irrigation system or new lighting OR even install a new swimming pool!
- Soft ground also gives you the freedom to move things around until you find just the color pallet you want.
- Shrubs need the warmth of summer to get ready for a cooler fall.
- Trim the trees, let in more light and air!
- Clean the gutters.
SMALL “ON THE BACK BURNER” PROJECTS
- Stain the deck or install a new porch railing
- A good rainy day activity is to re-organize the closets – making room for all that swim gear!
- Install new exterior lighting on garage, front porch or deck
- If you recall drafty windows during the winter, now is a great time to caulk them – which will also help with your AC.
- If your contractor kicks you out of the kitchen – which will help get the project completed more quickly – set up a modified out door or in the garage kitchen.
- Small fridge, prep area, place to wash dishes, of course paper plates and grilling!
- Summer is a great time for al fresco dining so take advantage of it!
- AND if your kitchen only needs a facelift
-New set of fun dishes for entertaining
PAINT THE HOUSE – INSIDE OR OUT
- If painting indoors, it’s easier to keep the windows open for faster drying time and better ventilation
- If painting outdoors, at least you won’t have to deal with spring or winter storms
- Asphalt hardens more slowly in hot weather, which means a flatter, smoother finish.
- A good contractor should be able to do the job in one day. Let it cure for a few days and you’ve got a fresh, new driveway!
- Throw pillows
- Area rugs
- Fun and funky family artwork
- New duvet