GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) — Turn up the heat while keeping it fresh this Memorial Day with my red, white-hot and blueberry salad. It’s a perfect healthy compliment to any Memorial Day spread and it will only take a few minutes to whip up. No fuss.
Red, White-Hot, and Blueberry Salad
Add a kick to your BBQ this Memorial Day with this easy, mouth-watering salad full of flavor.
Credit: Margaux Drake
- 1 Pound strawberries, chopped
- 1 Pint blueberries
- 1 Medium jicama, chopped
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 Tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1-2 Dried chiles, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- Wash strawberries, chop into bite sized pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Wash blueberries, drain and toss them in the mixing bowl too.
- Wash and peel the jicama, chop it into bite sized pieces and place it in a small bowl then cover it with purified water and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, honey, minced cilantro, grated ginger, minced chiles (start with one chile and add the other if more heat is preferred) and sea salt. When ready to serve, drain and discard the water off of the jicama. Place jicama pieces into the bowl with the chopped strawberries and blueberries add the dressing and toss to coat.
- Garnish with a few sprigs of cilantro or a sparkler-looking party favor.