GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) — Spring cleaning is upon us! This is the time where people open their windows, get some fresh air, and start cleaning. We have some green cleaning solutions and ways in which they are used.
- To remove stains: take 3 parts baking soda and one part water to create a paste that can be used on most surfaces
- To remove bad odors: put a small bowl in the refrigerator, sprinkle some at the bottom of a garbage can, or sprinkle some on the carpet then vacuum up after 15 minutes.
- Clean your toilet: pour 1 cup of borax into the toilet bowl. Leave overnight, then clean toilet bowl with a brush.
- To remove sticky substance: mix borax and water into a 2-to-1 ratio and rub to get rid of sticky or gooey residue.
- To remove wine stains: douse with club soda and gently blot until it disappears
- Clean pet urine: blot with clothe, then saturate with club soda. Let it sit until the fizz goes down, then blot again. Repeat if needed.
- Clean windows and mirrors: put water and a few tablespoons of lemon juice into a spray bottle. Spray onto mirrors or windows then wipe with a towel.
- To clean discolored brass: Use salt and half a lemon to clean REAL brass.
Liquid Castile Soap
- To clean stovetop: With 2 cups of water, add a few squirts of liquid Castile soap and apply to stove top and burners to clean off the grease.
- Clean marble countertops: stir one quart of warm water and one tablespoon of liquid Castile soap and wipe counters with dampened cloth.
- To clean your computer: mix equal parts of water and white vinegar. Dampen cloth with solutions and wipe down. (Make sure to shut off equipment before cleaning and do NOT use a spray bottle.)
- Clean your piano keys: mix 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Dip soft cloth in solution and gently wipe off each key. Use second cloth in order to dry off keys and leave uncovered for 24 hours.
- Remove carpet stains: coat stain with corn meal. Let sit for 15 minutes then vacuum up.
- Clean grease from fabric: pour corn meal on greased area. Let sit for 10-15 minutes and then vacuum to remove the grains.
- Remove mold or mildew: spray areas with mold or mildew. Sit for 10 minutes then scrub the area.
- Clean sponges and dishrags: soak dirty rags and sponges in hydrogen peroxide. Let soak for 15-30 minutes.