ROCKFORD, Mich. (WOTV) — Three months after giving birth to her son, Rockford native Ginger Zee was tearing up the dance floor in hopes of taking home the mirror ball trophy.
Zee didn’t try to hide the impact of motherhood during Monday’s premiere of “Dancing with the Stars.”
“I apologize if I’m going to leak on you because I’m breastfeeding. I’m a new mommy,” Zee told her partner, season 20 champ Val Chmerkovskiy, during one of their first dance practices.
At one point, Zee began unpacking a breast pump during a break in dance practice.
“There’s a first time for everything,” her partner said.
Zee is traveling between work in New York and Los Angeles, where the show is taped. During one of her dance practices, Zee’s 3-month-old son, Adrian came to visit.
Zee said he was the reason she was tearing up as the judges gave her jive some of the highest marks of the night.
“I want to make my son proud,” she explained.
The Good Morning America meteorologist who used to be a part of Storm Team 8 sparkled in a blue and green sequined dress as the judges pulled out every forecast pun they could think of.
“The forecast is looking pretty good,” said Bruno Tonioli.
“The clouds parted and a ray of sunshine came through,” Len Goodman said.
“You have something phenomenal. You are infectious… just pure joy,” added Carrie Ann Inaba.
WEEK ONE SCORES (out of 30):
- Ginger Zee and Val Chmerkovskiy: 23
- Nyle DiMarco and Peta Murgatroyd: 23
- Wanya Morris and Lindsay Arnold: 23
- Antonio Brown and Sharna Burgess: 21
- Marla Maples and Tony Dovolani: 21
- Paige VanZant and Mark Ballas: 21
- Von Miller and Witney Carson: 21
- Jodie Sweetin and Keo Motsepe: 20
- Kim Fields and Sasha Barber: 20
- Mischa Barton and Artem Chigvintsev: 16
- Geraldo Rivera and Edyta Sliwinska: 13
- Doug Flutie and Karina Smirnoff: 15
One couple will go home next Monday night. Find out who by watching season 22 of “Dancing with the Stars,” beginning at 8 p.m. on WOTV 4.