GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) It’s the New Year, and many people are making resolutions to incorporate healthier habits into family life. Here are some simple solutions from Meijer that can have a positive health impact all year long:
- Work together as a team! Discuss the importance of staying healthy together as a family and how everyone needs to participate to be successful. Get ideas for healthy meals and activities from each family member.
- Establish regular mealtimes and stock up on healthy foods. If you let yourself get too hungry, it’s difficult to make good food choices. By having better-for-you foods on hand, you’ll always be able to grab a nutrient-rich meal or snack and can avoid the fast food stops for higher calorie, less healthful fare.
- Plan out dinner meals and automate breakfast and lunch.
- Create a weekly dinner menu with the help of the family. Check out the weekly family dinner menu planner based on sale items at meijer.com/moreforahealthieryou if you need some inspiration. These menus, created by Meijer Registered Dietitians will save you time and money while helping your family consume nutritious meals.
- Keep quick and easy breakfast and lunch choices on hand – quick oats, frozen whole grain waffles, fruit/juice, yogurt, peanut butter, whole grain English muffins, etc.
- Use a healthful equation to build your lunch – 1 whole grain + 1 protein + 1-2 fruits & veggies. This will ensure a nutrient packed foundation. Stock your kitchen with convenient selections from each group so parents and kids can make their own healthy selections.
- Eat dinner together as a family as often as possible – the benefits to family health are amazing! The Seven Can Soup recipe below is easy and delicious for even the busiest of nights.
- Play together every day! Activity and exercise do not have to be a chore. Make it fun and enjoy season activities that the whole family can get involved with. Right now is the perfect time for a snow walk, sledding, skating, skiing or snowman building.
- Parents need to remember to make the major food decisions and serve as healthy role models.
Seven Can Soup
Makes 6 servings
- 1-15 ounce True Goodness by Meijer Black Beans, undrained
- 1-15 ounce True Goodness by Meijer Pinto Beans, undrained
- 1-15 ounce True Goodness by Meijer Chili Beans, undrained
- 1-15 ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1-15 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1-15 ounce can corn, drained
- 1-19 ounce can minestrone soup
- 1 cup fresh spinach, torn into pieces
- ½ c small shell pasta
- 8 ounces True Goodness by Meijer Organic Chunk Colby Cheese, grated
- True Goodness by Meijer Applause Crackers, for serving
- Empty all cans (only drain the corn) into a large pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil; add the pasta and spinach. Continue to cook simmering over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in shredded cheese until melted and combined.
- Serve soup topped with diced avocado and crushed applause crackers (optional).
Nutrition information per serving (excludes toppings): 423 Calories, 11 g Fat, 63 g Carbohydrate, 17 g Fiber, 23 g Protein, 1283 mg Sodium