Have a safe Fourth of July

Sparkler

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) All eyes will be on the sky when it comes to entertainment for the Fourth of July weekend. A highlight of the weekend every year is a great fireworks show! While the dazzling displays are fun to watch, they can also be dangerous. Half of all firework injuries happen to kids under the age of 16, so Grandma on the Go went to our source for safety to get share some tips.

  • Proceed with caution!
  • Be safe. If you want to see fireworks, go to a public show put on by trained experts.
  • Parents and caregivers should always closely supervise children at events where fireworks are used.
  • Sparklers burn at more than 1,200 °F and cause third degree burns in seconds.
  • Place discarded sparkler wires in a metal bucket filled with water.
  • 16% of fireworks injuries each year throughout the United States are caused by sparklers.
  • After the firework display, children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over since they may still be active.
  • Leave pets at home and keep them inside during firework displays.

For more information on fireworks safety, visit the Bureau of Fire Services website or the National Fire Protection Association website.

E.S.C.A.P.E. Fire Safety urges Michiganders to follow common sense safety rules this Fourth of July during holiday celebrations Where You Live!

>>> List: Fourth of July fireworks in West Michigan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s