GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) Summer is a great time to play together as a family, but it’s important to stay safe. Jennifer Hoekstra from Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Injury Prevention has some tips to keep your family safe.
- Make sure the playground equipment is age appropriate for your children
- Maintain active supervision
- Use playground equipment the way it’s intended
- Wear a helmet – kids and adults
- Wear close-toed shoes
- Know where to ride. Young kids should stay on sidewalks and paths.
- Never leave a child unattended in or around water
- Parents should be in arm’s reach of a child in the water
- Designate a water watcher – an adult whose only focus is to maintain a location for the kids
Jennifer Hoekstra has many tips to keep your family safe this summer. She will be taking questions during a live Facebook chat on Tuesday, June 23. Log on to the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital Facebook page from noon until 12:45 p.m. and ask your questions!