Sedentary jobs are jobs that involve sitting for most of the day. Since the dawn of the computer age, the rise in sedentary jobs and decline in more active occupations has been dramatic. This shift has contributed to new health concerns. Arising from many occupations not providing the amount of exercise people would have naturally gotten in the past from simply going to work. Other issues connected to sedentary work such as unhealthy snacking or decreased energy can lead to additional issues not directly related to simple lack of exercise during the day. Here are a few tips on staying healthy in a sedentary occupation.
- The simplest activity you can do is get up for a quick stretch every 30 minutes. This will keep blood flowing in the lower body and help keep you energized throughout the day.
- Although it’s very easy to sit and snack all day, it’s not healthy. If you do feel like snacking, bring in fresh fruits and vegetables, or nuts like almonds and pistachios to snack on. They’re much healthier than candy or chips.
- Lay off the caffeine as much as possible. Caffeine can make you hyper-focused and energetic while at your desk, but too much of it can leave you sluggish and exhausted by the time the day ends. It can also impact your sleep cycle, which can lead to even less activity over time.
- Exercise when away from work. Your only choices aren’t fitness clubs, or classes, but you do need to make a commitment to exercise regularly. Consider free or inexpensive resources like fitness videos on YouTube or a running trail at a local park. You should consult your physician and choose something appropriate for your health, interests, and schedule.
- Lastly, consult your physician on a regular basis about your overall health. Being in tune with your needs by having a good relationship with your physician is not only good for preventing health problems that might arise from having a sedentary job, it also is a great motivator to keep you eating healthy and actively exercising between visits.
If your job does not keep you active, it is even more important that you eat right, exercise, and know about your own health. These choices will keep you healthy, allow you to be more productive at work, and even increase your energy at home.