Follow all directions on the packaging—for storing, using and disposing of detergent packets—and never store household cleaning products or chemicals in old food containers. When using detergent packets follow these additional recommendations:
Tips to Prevent Detergent Packet Poisoning
1. Do not cut or tear the packets.
2. If packets stick together, do not pull them apart. (This may cause them to tear.)
3. Don’t handle the packets with wet hands. (Even small amounts of water can cause the outer casing to dissolve.)
4. Close the product container completely after each use to keep moisture out. Do not store the product near water. If you think your child could open this package then buy a canister with a lid that screws on and off making it harder for them to handle.
5. Re-arrange your cabinets. Store all your cleaning products on the higher shelves and out of reach of little hands.
If you suspect your child has ingested or been exposed to a laundry or dishwasher detergent packet, call the Poison Control Center at 1.800.222.1222 immediately.