“Frankenpeppers” are a healthy Halloween meal idea from D&W Fresh Market. Have a difficult time getting your little monsters to eat healthy on Halloween? Add a little fun and fright to bell peppers with this healthy Halloween meal from D&W Fresh Market.
While you prepare the filling, your little ghosts and goblins can decorate the peppers. Dietary restrictions? You can substitute gluten-free, dairy-free or vegan products in this recipe with ease. Here’s how to make them.
Makes three servings
- 3 bell peppers, green or red
- 3 Spartan individual cheese slices
- 1 jar Spartan Spanish olives
- 1 jar Spartan Peanut Butter
- 1 lb Sesame Thai noodles, (ready-made in the deli)
- 3 bottle caps
- 3 straws
- 1 package of toothpicks
- Wash peppers and cut the tops off of each. Insert the knife from the top down and cut in a circle, like you would a jack-o’-lantern.
- Remove the ribs (fleshy white material) and seeds from the inside of the peppers.
- If the peppers will not stand up on their own, you can level them by slicing or shaving the bottoms to make them level.
- Lay out remaining ingredients (cheese, olives, peanut butter) for kids to use to decorate the peppers.
- The butter knife and toothpicks allow them to sculpt their monsters. The bottle caps and straws make great shape stamps.
- Make scary faces on each pepper using the peanut butter and toothpicks to hold eyes and mouths in place. Next, fill each pepper with your favorite pasta recipe or sesame Thai noodles from our deli, then eat and enjoy!
If the peppers don’t get eaten right away, slice them into strips for snaking later.
A Healthy Way to Snack
- Bell peppers add more than just a pop of color to your plate and a good solid crunch in your mouth.
- They’re an excellent source of Vitamin A, which is essential to healthy eyesight.
- A cup of chopped peppers is only about 30-40 calories and offers more than 100 percent of the daily value of the antioxidant Vitamin C.
This healthy snack supports tissue health and boosts immunity.You can find all of these ingredients at your nearest D&W Fresh Market. Great variety, always fresh! Happy Halloween!