GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) Cuban black bean soup is perfect for a chilly fall day. It’s hearty and rich, while being packed full of things to keep your body fueled. Margaux Drake shows how to whip up a quick batch and all you have to do is ladle and enjoy!
Cuban Black Bean Soup
- 1 T EVOO
- 1 Onion medium size
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 3 Celery ribs
- 1 Red Pepper medium size
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded
- 1 T+ Cumin, ground
- 1 t Thyme
- 2 15 oz cans of black beans
- 1 14 oz can of coconut milk
- Juice of 1 1/2 limes
- Sea salt to taste
- Garnish with diced mango, chopped green onions, finely chopped cilantro and grated ginger (optional)
• Heat EVOO in a large stock pot with a tightly fitting lid.
• Put onion, garlic, and celery into a food processor and pulse until chopped.
• Sauté the onion, garlic and celery in the stock pot until onions are soft.
• Put the red pepper and jalapeño into food processor and pulse until chopped.
• Add peppers to the the stock pot and sauté until soft.
• Add cumin and thyme and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes.
• Drain black beans.
• Add black beans to the stock pot and sauté.
• Stir in the coconut milk.
• Add additional cumin and salt to taste.
• Stir in lime juice and ladle into soup bowls.
• Garnish with a chutney of mango, green onions, cilantro, ginger, lime juice and salt.
• If a creamier soup is desired it can be blended before serving and garnishing
All Ingredients are available at D&W Fresh Market.