GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) Make sure you’re ready for back to school with our complete checklist! From what to wear to what to cook for dinner, we’ve got you covered for back to school this year.
WOTV 4 Women’s Back to School Checklist
1. REVIEW IMPORTANT SCHOOL ITEMS
- Find out what day classes start and what time your child should arrive.
- Enroll your child (if she is not already registered from the previous year).
- Fill out emergency contact sheets and any other required forms.
- Review the school dress code and make sure your child has the appropriate clothing/uniform items.
- Notify your child’s school of any allergies, health concerns, medications needed.
- Make sure your child has all required immunizations.
- Find out the school bus schedule and prepare your child.
- Have your child meet their teacher and tour the school so they feel comfortable on the first day.
2. STOCK UP ON SCHOOL SUPPLIES
- Check with your child’s school/teacher to see
if there are required items each student needs.
- Purchase the basics including:
- Lunch box
- Ice pack
- Water bottle
- 3 ring binder(s)
- Glue sticks/bottle of glue
- Crayons/colored pencils/markers
- Extra erasers
- Age appropriate scissors
- Mini pencil sharpener
3. START MEAL PLANNING
- Find out how much school breakfasts and lunches cost and get the menu.
- Let your kids pick out a new lunch box and don’t forget the ice pack!
- Alert school staff if your child has a severe food allergy.
- Check to see if your school has a no-nut policy before you stock up on PB&J supplies.
- Start pinning your favorite crock-pot recipes to make the first week back a breeze.
- Start cooking now and freeze portions/meals for quick easy dinners later.
- Watch for back to school sales and start stocking up on things your kids love in their lunches.
4. ESTABLISH BACK TO SCHOOL ROUTINES/CALENDARS
- Start your back to school sleep routine now. Every night inch closer and closer to your bed time goal.
- Create a back to school calendar and mark important dates.
- Find out what night is back to school orientation and make sure to be there to meet the teacher and tour the school/classroom.
- Arrange your transportation. How are the kids getting to school and what’s the plan after school? Create a schedule.
- See if extra-curricular activity schedules are available and start planning for practice schedules/game days etc.
- Mark the family calendar for the big events through the school year so you’re prepared.
- If your child walks to school, walk the route so they know where they’re going.
- Map out the morning routine to make sure you get out the door on-time.
- Set everything out the night before so you’re prepared. Make the lunches, pack the backpacks and lay out first day of school outfits so things run smoothly.
Stay organized! Download the WOTV 4 Women Back to School Checklist!