GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) As the end of summer approaches, many parents have exhausted the typical family fun ideas and are searching for new ways to inspire active, imaginative play. Before school is back in session, here are some fresh, creative ideas in celebration of National Family Fun Month in August.
- Get creative in the kitchen. Setting aside time for a meal inspired by the entire family helps kids view the kitchen as a new imaginative space.
- Build a new world. Use whatever you can find around the house to co-create and decorate a new play environment for the entire family. Use a small tent, pillow cushions, cardboard boxes or anything you can imagine!
- Redefine “family photos.” Round up outrageous outfits, accessories and props for an especially silly session of family photos.
- Supply the tools. Encouragement, an imaginative space and maybe a little glitter will help fuel a child’s development and reduce time spent in front of a screen.
- Take a breather. Commit to setting aside time each day to slow down and participate in playtime as a family.