ROCKFORD, Mich. (WOTV) It takes a lot of staff and volunteers to run the special program at the Equest Center for Therapeutic Riding. Individuals and families can donate their time each week in a variety of projects. Some volunteers work from home, some help with renovation projects, and others help special needs riders during their therapy sessions.
Volunteers can choose a day and time that fits their schedule, but are asked to commit at least two hours. Volunteering in a Therapeutic Riding lesson requires an orientation and training. Volunteers must be at least 14 years old to work in the riding area. Volunteers who are at least 12 years old may help in the barn when accompanied by a parent or when they are able to effectively work alone and follow all barn safety rules.
- Horse Leader
- Grooming and Barn Maintenance
- Haycrew (horse care and feeding)
- Special Events (fundraisers, Easter with the Equest Bunny, Holiday Horse Show, Horsin Around at the Derby, Horses & Hands program)
- Facility maintenance (repairs, weeding, flowers, painting, cleaning pastures, etc.)
- Administration (data entry, bulk mailing, filing, etc.)
Service projects are available throughout the year for interested groups such as:
- Boy/Girls Scouts
- Youth Leadership
- Business groups
- Church groups
Volunteer Registration Forms are available online by clicking here. If you would like to take the next step toward becoming an Equest volunteer, please contact Marissa Freyling, Volunteer Coordinator, or click here for contact information.