GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) Abuse and assault happen everywhere, and it can happen to anyone. Do you know what to do if it happens to you or a loved one? The YWCA West Central Michigan has some tips on what you need to watch out for.
Where Do I Go for Help?
If you’re a child:
- Talk to your parents or another trusted adult
If you’re an adult:
- YWCA 24 Hour Confidential Hotlines
- (616) 451-2744 (domestic/dating violence)
- (616) 776-7273 (RAPE) (sexual assault)
- If in immediate danger, call 911
What if Someone Comes to Me For Help?
- Listen and believe
- Offer unconditional support, free of judgment
- Access resources on behalf of the child
When Do I Get Involved?
- Get involved immediately by believing & listening
- Tell police, especially if parents are harming a child
- Trust your intuition