GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds, and more than four children die every day as a result of child abuse. Every two minutes, a person is sexually assaulted. Forty-four percent of victims are under the age of 18.
Abuse can happen to anyone, anywhere, and it’s happening in West Michigan. It’s important to recognize the signs and know what to do if it happens to you or someone you love. Our partners at Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services break down what you need to know.
Warning Signs of Abuse
- Frequent, unexplained injuries
- Confused, quiet, withdrawn demeanor
- Avoiding certain people or places
- Avoiding touch, afraid to go home
- Wearing clothing to cover injuries
Warning Signs of Neglect
- Poor hygiene, dirty or ill-fitting clothing
- Untreated illness or injuries
- Often left unsupervised, left to play alone in unsafe situations
What Do I Do?
- Offer reassurance that you are there to help
- Remain calm, avoid judgment
- Assess safety, consider professional intervention
- Contact Protective Services at (855) 444-3911