GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOTV) Getting geared up for the busy summer months also means remembering how to keep our families safe.
Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital recently celebrated National Safe Kids Day with a family safety event at the YMCA. Jennifer Hoekstra, injury prevention at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital says the event is to help focus on the importance of injury prevention. Unintentional injuries are the leading killer of children.
- She has five tips to keep you and your children safe:
- Properly secure your children in a car and never leave them unattended.
- Ensure that helmets and safety gear are worn for biking and other sports.
- Actively supervise children in and around all types of water.
- Regularly check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Keeping poisons, batteries and medications out of reach and have emergency numbers posted in your home.